Many people in Westchester County think of meeting with estate planning lawyers as fearful, as too much hassle, or as a process to be undertaken years from now.
Estate planning is an investment in the future well being of your loved ones. The investment is not in stocks or bonds, but in the ongoing business of life, a business that began before you were born and will continue, with your help, after you pass on.
Regardless of income, everyone needs an estate plan. People with less income need plans as carefully wrought as those with extensive assets. The word estate can also be deceiving because some of the most important documents in an estate plan have to do with you, what will happen if you are incapacitated and who can make important medical and financial decisions for you.
Putting together an estate plan
Knowing you need an estate plan is the first step toward getting your personal and business affairs in order. Working with an estate planning lawyer in Westchester County can help you define your goals and wishes. Properly drafted estate plans help with the following:
• Provide direction for distribution and disposal of your assets after your death
• Allow you to provide long-term financial support to loved ones
• Provide specific direction as to your own medical wishes should you become incapacitated
• Allow you to name individuals qualified to make long-term medical and financial decisions for you
• Help you and your heirs avoid costly taxes and the probate process
Estate planning lawyers can draft the documents you will need to get started:
• Living will
• Advanced medical directive
• Trust documents
• Financial power of attorney
Estate planning is a gift to the future, to move the possessions and assets you gathered forward, and to allow others to make use of all the good work you did in your own lifetime. Make it count. Start making your plan today.
Contact a Westchester County estate planning lawyer
With decades of experience as an estate planning attorney, Cormac McEnery, Esq. provides skilled legal counsel and representation on matters of estate planning, elder care, trusts, and estate representation in New York City, Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk Counties. Contact us today or call 1-888-368-4329 to schedule a free consultation.